Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What was I thinking?



Up until last night I thought I had pretty much encountered the typical parenting experiences. That all changed when we let Rachel have five girlfriends spend the night as a spring break treat. That means we had SIX pre-teen emotionally volatile girls in a 1500 sq foot mobile home. OK everyone can stop laughing now! At one point early into the evening one girl got her feelings hurt ending up in the bathroom with Rachel trying to calm her down and another girl (who had only been here 30 minutes) eating her pizza. After a couple of minutes the situation was under control and the one girl assures me that the pizza tastes the same in the kitchen or bathroom (just in case anyone was wondering). By this time Dan and I had retreated (hid) in our bedroom. There was peace in the house for 30 minutes at most when I noticed Rachel going back and forth to her room. Come to find out another girl was mad because they stopped playing a game and while everyone else moved on to another activity she was pouting in Rachel's room with another girl trying to cheer her up. I didn't even get involved in that one and it worked itself out after a few minutes. The girls finally settled down to movies and popcorn for the night. I wanted to stay up until all were asleep as one of the girls was known for getting homesick in the middle of the night. They all passed out by 1:45am and I was able to finally go to sleep. Stephen had me up by 8:00am to go get donuts at Safeway. After getting them all wired on sugar the girls are outside playing in the van and my house is somewhat quiet. I just have to make it till 3:00pm when I'll drive three home. Alas two of them live in the park and one lives in my house so not everyone will be leaving ;) I have heard it said that boys are more work when young and girls are more work when older. God give me strength and wisdom for the years ahead!

No comments: